Sunday, April 15, 2007

And we thought we were adventurous...

Things are going well here at home.

The last member of our Hanoi cohort, Marci, has also returned. Her son, Jamie, remember, had an ear infection which delayed their return.

But in the meantime, in Hanoi, Marci, Betty, and Katie kept busy. We thought we were adventurous. It seems the longer one stays in Hanoi, the more adventurous one becomes. Here's Marci's email to us about her final adventure before her return:

"Well, tonight we had a true Vietnamese experience. We went with Peter (the American guy that lives in Hanoi), his wife Mai, their son Bao, and her friend Hong to the Botanical Gardens where they play badminton. Afterwards they took us to this little restaurant just outside the Gardens gate. We were the only Western people there. When we walked up there was a little piglet roasting over this big grill (which we eventually ate). This is the kind of side of the road restaurant. We ate outside on little metal tables. They ordered all this food for us to try, and everyone else and my mom had this special beer (I don't like beer). Well, one of the dishes was dog. It was actually pretty good. If you thought it was beef it would have been excellent. They said that eating dog makes you lucky and that when people are having a rough time in their life or they are fighting with loved ones they eat dog and then they feel better. I figured we needed all the luck we could right about now. So since I ate my dog and was now full of luck I decided to try my luck on a motor bike in the streets of Hanoi. Mai's friend had her motor bike with her so she took me on a ride around the city. It was an amazing evening. It was real Vietnamese not commercial Vietnamese. Just thought I'd let you know about our night."

3 comments:

rick samaha said...

Good story.

Glad Marci and family are reunited safely back home.

-Rick

Anonymous said...

How are Luc and Maisie doing these days?
P&L...

tara said...

I believe I met you at the SOS Clinic in Hanoi around April 10....glad to hear you arrived home. We returned home to Chicago last Monday and there truly is no place like home!